The PNM Power Saver for Business program has been designed for Small Business electric customers to balance energy use during times of high demand while saving money. Businesses with refrigerated air conditioning units and heat pumps* automatically reduce their use at critical times during the summer season, which helps keep electricity rates lower longer. By participating, you serve your community by working to protect New Mexico’s environment, reducing greenhouse gas emissions when energy is needed most.
Small Business Customers can earn a one-time sign-up bonus of $50 for each device installed on site before December 31, 2021. In addition, customers will receive $25 annually for each device that is enrolled in the program. For more information on this limited promotion click here.
How It Works
After you sign up, we’ll connect your choice of either a Wi-Fi® enabled thermostat or an outdoor switch to your refrigerated air conditioning unit or heat pump. No matter which PNM Power Saver device you choose, you still control your thermostat the way you normally would. On some summer weekday afternoons, when electricity demand soars, the device will then receive a wireless signal that puts your air conditioning unit or heat pump into an activation period, coordinating it with others in the area to help balance demand.
The PNM Power Saver for Business program only operates on weekdays (not holidays or weekends), between 1 p.m. and 8 p.m., from June 1 through September 30. During an activation period, the temperature in your facility may rise a few degrees, but most customers report they don’t notice the change. When electricity demand has been normalized, your air conditioning unit or heat pump returns to its standard operation.
Sign up for PNM Power Saver for Business today to help your community manage electricity demand and ensure a safe, reliable electricity supply.
The Outdoor Switch connects to your outdoor AC units.
PNM Power Saver for Business Benefits Your Business:
- PNM Power Saver events last for a four hour period that typically occurs from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. on summer weekdays when demand requires activation.
- PNM Power Saver will only be activated during the summer, June 1 through September 30, and will not be activated on holidays or weekends.
- There is no charge for the installation and service or the PNM Power Saver device. If you are not satisfied, you can ask to be removed from the program at no cost to you.
- Getting started is easy. If you requested a thermostat, simply schedule an appointment to have it installed. The appointment will last about an hour, during which the technician will explain how the thermostat works to you or another responsible adult. If you choose the outdoor switch, simply ensure our technician has safe access to your outdoor A/C unit(s). You don’t need to be at the facility when the device(s) is installed.
PNM Power Saver for Business Benefits the Community:
- The program helps keep electricity costs lower longer by reducing the demand for power during peak hours when electricity is the most expensive to produce or purchase.
- It helps ensure a continuous regional energy supply by reducing energy demand at critical times.