Residential Program Rules
As of January 2019
- Open to all residential customers with a refrigerated air conditioning unit or heat pump. Evaporative cooling units are not eligible.
- To participate in PNM Power Saver, you must be named on the PNM account.
- If you are a tenant, landlord approval must be certified. You must have control of the thermostat.
- A Wi-Fi® web-programmable thermostat or an outdoor switch must be selected to be used to cycle the compressor off and on during times of high overall electricity demand. Customers without Wi-Fi will automatically receive an outdoor switch.
- The program representative will provide and install the device(s). If you have more than one refrigerated air conditioning unit connected to the premises, all units must have an accompanying device installed for you to participate in the program.
- The program representative will install, and provide you participation checks for, each device installed on participating refrigerated air conditioning units or heat pumps on the premises.
- The qualified programmable device(s) will not be removed unless requested by the Customer. After Customer opts out and terminates participation in the program, the thermostats will operate in standard/normal/non-conservation mode and access to Customer’s Engagement Site will be terminated. Please see page 9 of the Owner’s Manual regarding Programming Your Thermostat Manually.
- You will receive a one-time installation bonus check after the device has been installed.
- If you start participating in PNM Power Saver at a premises where a device has already been installed, or you request a change of devices, you will not be eligible to receive the installation bonus check, but will be eligible for the annual thank-you check.
- If your device has been active throughout the cooling season, you will be eligible for the annual thank-you check each fall.
- If PNM needs to change the incentives at any future time, you will be informed.
|CYCLING LEVEL||ONE-TIME Sign-up Bonus PER DEVICE||ANNUAL thank-you check PER DEVICE|
- As a PNM Power Saver participant, you will allow PNM to cycle your exterior refrigerated air conditioning unit or heat pump off and on during times of high overall electricity demand.
- If you are a new resident of a single-family home where a PNM Power Saver device has already been installed, PNM will inform you of your participation and of your choice to opt out.
- If you are a new tenant at a premises where a PNM Power Saver device has already been installed, your landlord will inform you of your participation and of your choice to opt out.
- During an activation period, you may experience a slight increase in temperature. Variables such as insulation, shaded windows, the use of ceiling fans, and the amount of foot traffic, can each affect the overall temperature. Below are the changes a typical home may experience:
|CYCLING LEVEL||TEMPERATURE CHANGE|
- Participation can be terminated at any time by notifying PNM in writing or by telephone.
- If you terminate participation in the program, PNM will disable the device in the operational and billing systems effective immediately. The device will no longer be cycled during events, and you will be ineligible to receive the thank-you check that year (if during the cooling season) and each year thereafter. When you terminate your participation, PNM will disable the device and it will remain in place unless you request that it be removed.
- Activation periods are most likely to be experienced on weekdays during June through September, from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m., for no more than four hours.
- Find out if an activation period is occurring in one of two ways: You can go to the PNM Power Saver website to see if there is a banner indicating an activation period has been scheduled to occur, or you can check your PNM Power Saver device to see if an indicator light has been turned on.
- Because the weather is unpredictable, there is no certainty about the total number of activation periods that could occur during a cooling season. But, based on past seasons, you can expect fewer than ten.
- Twice during each year, you have the choice to not participate in an activation period by simply calling 1-866-471-7906 and letting us know.
- Because PNM is part of a broader regional grid connected with other utilities, there may be a sudden system need for energy conservation. If such an extraordinary situation should arise, all customers would be required to participate until the system-wide emergency has been resolved.